Lawrence began his career in the intellectual property (“IP”) industry since year 2007. Prior to establishing Gennesis Intellectual Property, he was practising as an Advocate & Solicitor in one of the leading IP firm in Kuala Lumpur, specialized in the area of IP. Throughout his years of experience, he has:-
- Advised and assisted clients in prosecution and registration of trade marks, patents, designs and copyright in Malaysia and overseas.
- Formulated and provided strategic advice on IP protection for small and large businesses.
- Provided legal advice on non-contentious IP matters including ownership, acquisition, licensing and assignment of IP rights.
- Advised clients on infringement of IP and passing-off.
- Successfully reinstated patent and trade mark registration which had lapsed.
- Conducted seminars and workshop in small & medium enterprise, universities, government research institutions, multinational companies and public listed companies.
- Appeared in the High Court of Malaya and Court of Appeal for trade mark and patent infringement matters, invalidation of registered patent, expunge registered trade mark and application for false trade description order.
- Conducted raids against counterfeit products with the Enforcement Division of Ministry of Domestic Trade, Cooperative and Consumerism, pursuant to a Trade Description Order.
- Issued cease and desist letter on client's behalf to infringer of trade marks and copyrights leading to the infringing websites being taken down and infringing products bring called back from the market.
- Attended appeal hearing at the Malaysian Registry of Trade Marks.
- Advised and assisted clients in lodging and defending opposition proceedings against bad faith registration of trade marks.
- Negotiated for settlement in IP disputes.